Creating a New User
Enter all of the required fields and any additional fields that your organization utilizes. There are a few (default) required fields: first name, last name, user name and password. The required fields are marked with an asterisk (*). System Administrators have the ability to choose additional required fields, please see Required Fields for more information on how to add required fields. The default user role is set to Learner. If you are an Administrator and would like to assign additional user roles to the new user, please click the check box next to the user role you would like to assign. See User Permissions (Roles) for more information.
Click the Save button to finish adding your new user.
Please note: if you need to add/create a large group of users, the Import Users function will be more efficient. Please see Importing and Exporting Users for more information.
Editing a User
To manually edit a user profile, click on the Users tab and then locate the Learner you would like to update. You can search by first or last name, or username by using the search box.
Click on the user's name to open their profile page. From here, make the desired changes to profile fields or user roles. Once finished, click Save.
*Note: To find any user profiles for users who may have been "deactivated" (due to termination or other reasons) can be found by changing the "Active" filter to "Inactive." See Activation/Deactivation/On Leave Status for more information.
If you need to assist a Learner with any troubleshooting, you may use the Proxy Login feature to assume their identity and view their profile. To do this, you will go to your Users tab and locate the individual as shown above:
Click on the user's name to open their profile page. From here, scroll down and on the right hand side, below last modified details, you will see a button that says "Login as Learner's name."
Click on this button to leave your account and assume the identity of your Learner.
When you are done troubleshooting or viewing the Learner's account, you can navigate back to your account using the "Switch Back to Your Name" button at the top of your page.
User Profile Fields
Below is a list of user profile fields as they appear in the RLMS and their recommended uses.
- First Name: (Required) Enter the first name of the new user here. This is how the user's name will appear on reports. This field has a 40 character maximum.
- Middle Name: Enter the middle name of the new user here. This field has a 40 character maximum.
- Last Name: (Required) Enter the last name of the new user here. This is how the use's name (along with first name) will appear on reports. This field has a 40 character maximum.
- User Name: (Required) Every user in your site must have a unique user name. The user name is entered by the user to log into the site. This field has a 40 character maximum
- Password: (Required) The password is entered by the user to log into the site. If allowed by your system settings it can be changed by the user after logging into site; however ,the system will not automatically prompt the user to change their password. To learn more about updating password settings please see Required Fields. There is a minimum requirement of 4 characters and a 40 character maximum.
- E-mail: If you would like your users to be able to receive any of the automated email functions in the site, such as training alerts, you will need to make sure they have a valid email address in the system. E-mail addresses are required for Administrators, Instructors, Data Entry, Observers, and Supervisors.
- Phone, Fax, Address, City, State, Zip Code and Country: This information only appears when you view user information and on the User Demographics Report. If you enter a phone number for a user who is also an Instructor, their phone number will be visible to anyone who signs up for a session the Instructor is teaching.
- Profession: While not required, the values of this field cannot be edited.
- Organization: Information typed into this field only appears when you view user information, this field does not appear in any reports.
- Hierarchy: The Hierarchy governs access for Supervisors, therefore it is important to assign users to a Hierarchy level if you are utilizing this tool.
- Additional Hierarchy Access: Only users with Supervisor user permissions can be assigned additional hierarchy access. Supervisors are able to view, edit, enroll, and receive reports for Learners within their level of the Hierarchy, a sub-level thereof, or if they have been assigned Additional Hierarchy Access. Please see Additional Hierarchy Access to learn more about this feature.
- Job Title and Department: You can assign users to multiple job titles and departments. Both fields are available as filters for all reporting and enrollment functions. You can add, edit and delete job titles and departments as needed. Please see User Profile Customization to learn more about customizing these fields.
- Employment Types: You can assign user s to multiple employment types. This field is available as a filter for all reporting and enrollment functions. You can add, edit, and delete the employment types as needed. Please see User Profile Customization to learn more about customizing this field.
- User Categories: You can assign user s to multiple user categories. This field is available as a filter for all reporting and enrollment functions. You can add, edit, and delete the user categories as needed. Please see User Profile Customization to learn more about customizing this field.
- User Location: This is an available filter for all reporting and enrollment functions. You can add, edit, and delete the user locations as needed. Please see User Profile Customization to learn more about customizing this field.
- Learner ID: This field only appears in the User Demographics report. This field has a 25 character maximum.
- Custom Fields 1,2,3 : These are customizable fields you can use for any other variable or categorization that is not already listed by the RLMS. You can learn how to customize these by reading this article Customize Languages and User Profile Customization
- Language Preference: English is the default language selection in the Relias Learning Management System. Please note that language preference only applies to the terms in the LMS, it does not apply to the content of courses, exams or surveys. Please see RLMS Site Properties to learn more about updating language preferences.
- Learner Self-Completions: This field allows you to set the permission level for Learners to self-submit completed training. When enabled for the organization, the default for the Learner is set to the Organization Default. Please see RLMS Site Properties to learn how to enable this setting for your organization.
- Organizational Default - This is the default permissions setting of the organization for all Learners.
- Disabled - Learner does not have the ability to self-submit external completed training.
- Enabled - Learner has the ability to self-submit external completed training with no approval required.
- Enabled, Approval Required - Learner has the ability to self-submit external completed training for approval by a Supervisor.
- Future Training Requests: This setting allows you to set the permission levels to allow learners to self-submit future training requests. When enabled for the organization, the default for the learner is set to the Organization Default. Please see RLMS Site Properties to learn how to enable this setting for your organization.
- Organizational Default - This is the default permissions setting of the organization for all Learners
- Disabled - Learner does not have the ability to self-submit future external training requests.
- Enabled - Learner has the ability to self-submit future external training with no approval required.
- Enabled, Initial Approval Required - Learner has the ability to self-submit future external training requests for approval by a Supervisor to attend the training.
- Enabled, Full Approval Required - Learner has the ability to self-submit future external training requests for approval by a Supervisor to attend the training as well as approval upon completion of the training.
- Gender/Ethnicity/Date of Birth: These fields only appear in the EEOC Report and the User Demographics Report.
- Credentials: You can add professional license or degree (PhD, LCSW, etc) credentials here. If the user is an Instructor their credentials will display on custom certificates for which the Instructor was selected.
- Signature: You may upload any image file for the signature. This image will display on custom certificates, skills checklists, and the Learner transcript. Images should be in a three-to-one ratio (e.g. 150px width x 50px height).
- Account Status: Choosing Yes will make your user active. Choosing No will make your user inactive. Choosing On Leave, will keep your user active but will not affect reports. You can read more about that here Active, Inactive, and On Leave Status
- Elective Access: Choosing Full Access will give the user access to all courses in your site which are approved and available in the module list. Choosing Restricted will limit the user to only those courses which are approved for restricted users.
- Whitelist IP Status: Non-Exempt Users must access the site through IP addresses in the Settings tab. Exempt users can access the RLMS from any IP address. Please review the IP Address Whitelist article before enabling this feature.
- GUID: This is a Globally Unique Identifier used for Web Services.
- Hire Date: Employee hire date is important if you wish to assign requirements based on hire date, such as an Orientation Training Plan. The user hire date is also an available filter for reports.
- Termination Date: Employee termination date can be used to track the dates your user was terminated. You will still need to switch their status Active, Inactive, and On Leave Status If your organization uses HRIS, you will still need to terminate the user through your HR department as well.
- Comments: Use this for notes on your users . This information cannot be viewed by the individual learner (Administrators and Supervisors with User Management access can view the field).
- This user can view and self-enroll in electives:This check box allows the user to enroll in modules as Additional Training/Electives. If the option is not selected, the Learner will only be able to take the courses assigned to them by an Administrator or Supervisor.
- Hide from Admin Portal: In an Enterprise portal, this will hide the user from the Site Admin account.
Your organization has contracted a set number of users. You can view this number at any time, it is found on the left side of the user list. If you need to add more Learners than your current organizational allotment, please contact Relias Support.
To get back to the Knowledge Base and the master list of topics, please click here: The RLMS How-To-Manual