Dynamic Date - Recurring Training Plan
A Dynamic Date – Recurring training plan allows for the next due date for a module to be calculated based on the most recent date of completion. For example, Fire Safety had a due date of July 31, and was completed by a Learner on July 5 of last year. Fire Safety will now be due for this Learner on July 5 of the upcoming year.
Creating a Training Plan
In order to begin creating your training plan, click on Training & Enrollment > Training Plans & Enrollment > +New Training Plan.
Step 1: Basics
A unique title is required for each training plan you create within your Relias Learning site. A description is not required, but is a useful location to provide information related to the purpose of the training plan.
Step 2: Scheduling
To create a Dynamic Date – Recurring, you'll first need to indicate that you'd like the training plan to recur.
When building a Dynamic Date - Recurring training plan, you will specify the number of days in the recurrence cycle. Each time a Learner completes a module, a new due date will be set based on the most recent date of completion, and how many days you set the assignment to recur. This means if you want to create an annual training plan, you will set the rollover days to 365 (i.e., the number of days in a one-year cycle). A Learner who has completed a requirement within the training plan on 11/2/2017 would have his/her next due date set to 11/3/2018.
Please Note: With Dynamic-Recurring training plans, it is possible to set a recurrence cycle on a larger or smaller scale. For example, modules may be due every six months, or every two years; you are not restricted to an annual recurrence. However, the recurrence may not equal less than 30 days.
Dynamic Date - Recurring training plans can also be set as completion-based so that modules are not reassigned until all of the modules in that training plan have been completed. Please see "Step Four - Settings" for information regarding enabling that feature.
The initial due date for a Dynamic Date – Recurring training plan can be based on two different options.
- Date the user is enrolled in the training plan
- User’s hire date
Once you have chosen how the initial due date will be determined, you can choose the amount of days after the hire or enrollment date the modules can be due.
Step 3: Associating Modules with Training Plans
Next, you will begin adding modules to the training plan. To do this, click on the '+Module(s)' button and search for the modules you want to add.
Clicking on +Module(s) will bring up a pop up that lists all of the available modules in your site. You can search modules much like you do with learners. You can search using words that may be included in the title. You can also filter using the three default filters or by clicking on the "+Filter" button above Module Type to reveal other filters. Once the modules have been chosen, click on the check box beside the name and click Add.
Close the window when you have added the modules. Once you have added the modules you want to include in your training plan, you have the ability to choose the due date offset for each of the modules.You will see a column for Due Date Offset after adding modules to the training plan. This field allows you to stagger the due dates your learners receive at the time of assignment. You will find an example of how the due date offset works below:
You may want to create a training plan for new employees using due date offsets so that one module is due 30 days after hire, the second module is due 45 days after hire, and the third module is due 60 days after hire. As an example, let's say the original due date was chosen as 30 days after the Learner is enrolled in the training plan. To make the first due date 30 days after hire, you would choose 0 days after initial due date. Since the due date is already 30 days after being enrolled in the training plan, the second module would only need to be offset by 15 days, and the third module, 30 days.
Step 4: Settings
The options given in the Settings section will vary depending on the type of training plan you are building. This will be the section that allows you to choose a couple of things:
- How soon the modules will be available to the learners before their due dates
- If modules completed outside of the training plan can count towards requirements in the training plan
- How soon reminder emails will be sent to learners
- If the training plan is approved for enrollment
Please note: Relias best practices are the default settings, these serve as a guide to help make the training plan creation process easier. Settings may be changed if needed.
How should modules be available?
- Always Available: Choose this option if you would like enrolled Learners to have access to the modules immediately, regardless of the due date. Please keep in mind that if you choose this option, if a Learner takes a module that is due 1/31/2017, the next occurrence, 1/31/2018, will automatically become available and can be taken in 2017.
- Only Available ___ Days Before Due Date: If you would like to restrict enrolled Learners' access to the modules up to a certain number of days before the module due date, choose this option. Simply enter the number of days before the due date you want the modules to be available. For example, if the module is due 1/31/2017, and you enter Only Available 30 Days Before Due Date, the module will become available to Learners on 1/1/2017 (
When do modules completed outside of this training plan enrollment count towards this requirement?
- Days Prior To Training Plan Enrollment (formerly Reporting Start Date): all training plans except ones that have the one-time only setting enabled feature this option. This indicates, at the time of enrollment into the training plan only, how far in the past the system should look by default when considering whether or not to apply previous module completions toward the training plan requirement. For example, many of your Learners may have completed a module in March, either as an elective or as part of another training plan. The following December, you enroll Learners into a training plan that includes that same module. If you set this setting to 365 days prior to training plan enrollment, the system will apply completions within the previous 365 days toward the training plan requirement when Learners are enrolled. Those Learners will not be required to complete the training again. If a Learner completed the module, but did so more than 365 days ago, he/she will have to complete the training again If you do not want to count previous completions at all, leave the number of days as 0.
- Days Prior to Module Due Dates: this option allows you to set the completion window to look back a specified number of days before the due date, regardless of whether it was completed in the same calendar year as the due date. It can also reject a completion if it falls outside of the window the Administrator has determined. For example, if the Days Prior to Module Due Dates setting is set to 90 days for a module due on January 30, 2017, a completion of the module on November 3, 2016 would count toward the January 30, 2017 requirement, and the next due date would rollover to January 30, 2018. However, a completion of the module on October 3, 2016 (outside of the 90-day window) would not count towards the January 30, 2017 requirement.
Select this feature if you do not want modules to be reassigned until after all modules in the training plan have been completed. If you are not using training plan certificates, we generally recommend you use the regular Dynamic Recurring training plan type as it leads to more flexibility for learners and greater predictability when working with reporting start and end date data.
Approved for Enrollment
If you want to save the training plan, but want to continue to modify the training plan and not allow Learners to be enrolled in it, you can select No. This will prevent the training plan from displaying to Learners in your site as available for enrollment. You cannot un-approve a training plan that has actively enrolled Learners. When you are ready to make this training plan available for enrollment, change the selection to Yes.
Once you have completed the steps, click Save. If you are ready to start enrolling Learners, click Finish. For more information about Enrollment, please visit our Enrolling Learners with Auto Enrollment or Manually Enrolling Learners in a Training Plan articles.
If your organization has a Training Plan certificate created for a Dynamic Recurring plan type, then you will see an additional setting. This will appear whether using HIre Date or Date Enrolled options:
Remember: Each property you set at the training plan level will be true for ALL modules in the training plan. If you have a training that needs to carry a different property than the other modules in the training plan, you will need to create a new training plan.
To get back to the Knowledge Base and the master list of topics, please click here: The RLMS How-To-Manual