Hire Date - Recurring Training Plan
A Hire Date – Recurring training plan allows for fixed date requirements to be assigned to each module within the training plan. The modules will be due based off of each individual’s hire date. For example, I was hired on July 1, 2012. My training plan recurrence date will be based off of 7/1, regardless of year and enrollment date. I will have from 7/1 of the current year to 7/1 of the next year to complete the modules assigned in this training plan before I go overdue.
Please Note: If you wish to use this type of training plan, it is required that you enter Hire Dates for your Learners in their learner profiles. You may also want to consider adding Hire Date as a Required Field. A Learner who does not have a Hire Date cannot be enrolled into this type of training plan.
Creating a Training Plan
In order to begin creating your training plan, click on Training & Enrollment > Training Plans & Enrollment > +New Training Plan.
This will bring you to the Training Plan Properties page. This page is broken up into four steps:
Step 1: Basics
A unique title is required for each training plan you create within your Relias Learning site. A description is not required, but is a useful location to provide information related to the purpose of the training plan.
Step 2: Scheduling
To build a Hire Date– Recurring Training Plan, you'll first need to indicate that you'd like the sequence to recur and then indicate that the due date should be based on a specific date.
By selecting 'Yes -- Recurring', additional options will be provided to tailor your training plan preferen
The training plan's recurrence cycle is based on the close date. Each module in the training plan must be completed once annually between the close dates. For example, a December 31 close date will require each module to be completed once each calendar year between January 1 and December 31. Training plan reporting is based on the close date, so you'll want to make sure that date reflects the end of the training year for you organization.
Please Note: You cannot change the training plan type from recurring to non-recurring after the training plan has been created.
Step 3:Associating Modules with Training Plans
Next, you will begin adding modules to the training plan. To do this, click on the +Module(s) button and search for the modules you want to add.
Clicking on +Module(s) will bring up a pop up that lists all of the available modules in your site. You can search modules much like you do with learners. You can search using words that may be included in the title. You can also filter using the three default filters or by clicking on the "+Filter" button above Module Type to reveal other filters. Once the modules have been chosen, click on the check box beside the name and click Add.
Close the window when you have added the modules. Once you have added the modules you want to include in your training plan, you will need to choose the due dates for each of the modules.You will see a column for “Due Date” after adding modules to the training plan. This field allows you to stagger the due dates your Learners receive at the time of assignment. You will find an example of how the due date offset works below:
You may want to create a Hire Date – Recurring training plan using due date offsets so that one module is due annually every year on the hire date, the second module is due 30 days after their hire date, and the third module is due 60 days after their hire date. The original due date was chosen as their hire date. To make the first module due annually every year on their hire date, you would choose 0 days after hire date as the due date offset. If you want to stagger the next due date and make it 30 days after hire date, the second module would need to be offset 30 days. The third module would need a 60 due date offset to make it due two months or 60 days after hire date each year.
Step 4: Settings
The options given in the Settings section will vary depending on the type of training plan you are building. This will be the section that allows you to choose a couple of things:
- How soon the modules will be available to the Learners before their due dates
- If modules completed outside of the training plan can count towards requirements in the training plan
- How soon reminder emails will be sent to Learners
- If the training plan is approved for enrollment
Please note: Relias best practices are the default settings, these serve as a guide to help make the training plan creation process easier. Settings may be changed if needed.
How should modules be available?
- Always Available: Choose this option if you would like enrolled Learners to have access to the modules immediately, regardless of the due date. Please keep in mind that if you choose this option, if a Learner takes a module that is due 1/31/2017, the next occurrence, 1/31/2018, will automatically become available and can be taken in 2017.
- Only Available ___ Days Before Due Date: If you would like to restrict enrolled Learners' access to the modules up to a certain number of days before the module due date, choose this option. Simply enter the number of days before the due date you want the modules to be available. For example, if the module is due 1/31/2017, and you enter Only Available 30 Days Before Due Date, the module will become available to Learners on 1/1/2017.
When do modules completed outside of this training plan enrollment count towards this requirement?
- Days Prior To Training Plan Enrollment (formerly Reporting Start Date): all training plans except ones that have the one-time only setting enabled feature this option. This indicates, at the time of enrollment into the training plan only, how far in the past the system should look by default when considering whether or not to apply previous module completions toward the training plan requirement. For example, many of your Learners may have completed a module in March, either as an elective or as part of another training plan. The following December, you enroll Learners into a training plan that includes that same module. If you set this setting to 365 days prior to training plan enrollment, the system will apply completions within the previous 365 days toward the training plan requirement when Learners are enrolled. Those Learners will not be required to complete the training again. If a Learner completed the module, but did so more than 365 days ago, he/she will have to complete the training again. If you do not want to count previous completions at all, leave the number of days as 0. If you do not want to count previous completions at all, leave the number of days as 0.
- Days Prior to Module Due Dates: this option allows you to set the completion window to look back a specified number of days before the due date, regardless of whether it was completed in the same calendar year as the due date. It can also reject a completion if it falls outside of the window the Administrator has determined. For example, if the Days Prior to Module Due Dates setting is set to 90 days for a module due on January 30, 2017, a completion of the module on November 3, 2016 would count toward the January 30, 2017 requirement, and the next due date would rollover to January 30, 2018. However, a completion of the module on October 3, 2016 (outside of the 90-day window) would not count towards the January 30, 2017 requirement
Approved for Enrollment
If you want to save the training plan, but want to continue to modify the training plan and not allow Learners to be enrolled in it, you can select No. This will prevent the training plan from displaying to Learners in your site as available for enrollment. You cannot un-approve a training plan that has actively enrolled Learners. When you are ready to make this training plan available for enrollment, change the selection to Yes.
Once you have completed the steps, click Save. If you are ready to start enrolling Learners, click Finish. For more information about Enrollment, please visit our Enrolling Learners with Auto Enrollment or Manually Enrolling Learners in a Training Plan articles.
Remember: Each property you set at the training plan level will be true for ALL modules in the training plan. If you have a training that needs to carry a different property than the other modules in the training plan, you will need to create a new training plan.
To get back to the Knowledge Base and the master list of topics, please click here: RLMS Knowledge Base