Creating the Hierarchy
To access your hierarchy:
1. Click the Users tab.
2. In the menu on the left, click the Hierarchy tab.
3. Initially, the name of your organization will be the only hierarchy level. To create the remainder of your organization's hierarchy, click the Edit button in the upper right corner of the hierarchy. You will then be prompted with a box confirming your intention to edit the hierarchy structure, click OK.
4. To add a hierarchy level, type a name into the New Hierarchy Name field. Folder names can contain letters, numbers and special characters but not the following five characters : | , < >
6. Continue with steps 4 and 5 until you have all of the desired levels for your hierarchy. As you continue to add levels to the hierarchy, they will be listed in alphabetical order below.
8. Next, you can arrange the folders in the proper reporting order, remembering that each level will group together Supervisors and their Learners (direct reports). For each folder, click and drag the handle to the proper level they report to in the organization. For example, in the image below, Support is indented beneath Client Care, as the Support group reports to Client Care.
9. Continue arranging all levels until you have the desired hierarchy structure.
10. After placing all of the hierarchy levels, scroll up to the top of the page and click Back. This will automatically save your changes and take you back to the hierarchy page where you will add your Learners and Supervisors.
11. To view all of the hierarchy levels and sublevels, click the Expand button.
12. To add Learners and Supervisors to a hierarchy level, click on the level within the hierarchy.
14. Select the Learner and Supervisors in the pop-up window. For added convenience, you can filter the list by user attributes by clicking +Filters. Click in the check box next the Learner name to select them.
16. After adding the Learners and Supervisors to the selected level, you will be taken back to the Users in the hierarchy. To select a Notifications Recipient, click the Select Supervisor drop-down menu to designate who will receive the warning emails for the Learners in that level. If no names appear in the drop-down menu, you do not have a Supervisor assigned to that hierarchy level. In that case, you will need to add one if you would like warning emails to be sent to a Supervisor. Continue adding Learners and Supervisors until you have no Unassigned Learners, making sure that you have a Notification Recipient selected for each level.
Editing the Hierarchy
Changing the Name of a Hierarchy Level:
- Access the Hierarchy section as shown above
- To change the name of a hierarchy level simply click in the level and type in the new information.
- Scroll up to the top of the page and click Back. This will take you back to the Hierarchy page where you can add/edit your Learners and Supervisors.
Deleting a Hierarchy Level:
Please note: Hierarchy levels cannot be deleted if they are directly and/or indirectly associated with any users or being used for Enrolling Learners with Auto Enrollment profiles.
- Access the Hierarchy section as shown above.
- Before you can delete a level you will need to remove all of the Learners and Supervisors assigned to it. Click on the hierarchy level and then scroll down to the bottom of the screen. You will see all of the Users in the selected hierarchy section.
- Select all of the Learners.
- Click the Remove button and click OK to confirm the deletion in the dialog box.
- Now that there are no Learners assigned to the level, you can delete the level from the hierarchy. Click the Edit button in the upper right corner of the hierarchy. You will then be prompted with a box confirming your intention to edit the hierarchy structure, click OK.
- Click the X in the right corner of the hierarchy level you wish to delete (the x will only appear for levels that have no one assigned to them and/or have no auto-enrollment profiles associated with them). Click OK to confirm deletion in dialog box.
- Scroll up to the top of the page and click Back. This will take you back to the hierarchy page where you can add/edit your Learners and Supervisors.
Adding Learners/Supervisors to Hierarchy Level:
- Click the Users tab.
- In the menu on the left, click the Hierarchy tab.
- To add Learners and Supervisors to a hierarchy level, click on the level within the hierarchy.
- Scroll down the page to the Users in hierarchy, and then click the +Add Users button.
- Select the Learner and Supervisors in the pop-up window. For added convenience you can filter the list by user attributes by clicking +Filters. Click in the check box next the Learner name to select them.
- Click Add Users (depending on how long your user list is, you may need to scroll up to see the Add Users button).
Learners can also be added to a hierarchy level from the User profile page. Please see Creating and Editing Users Manually for more information on editing the user profile.
Please note: a User can only be added to one hierarchy level. If you cannot locate the User in the list, that User is likely already assigned to a different hierarchy. You will need to remove them from the current hierarchy before you can add him/her to the new hierarchy. Supervisors may have access to Learners outside their hierarchies. View the Additional Hierarchy Access (Supervisors Only) document for more details.
Exporting the Hierarchy
You can export the hierarchy into an Excel file. Exporting the Hierarchy is important if your organization utilizes HRIS integration (Text File Importing for HRIS Integration) or if you need the Hierarchy ID number for the User Data spreadsheet for Importing/Exporting Users. To export the hierarchy:
- Access the hierarchy from Users > Hierarchy as displayed at the top of the article.
- Click Export Hierarchy. This will prompt an Excel download from the system that contains a listing of all hierarchy Nodes (i.e., folders) and the corresponding Hierarchy ID numbers.