What Are They?
BrainSparks are multiple choice questions sent to learners on select days after they complete a course. These are intended to re-engage the learner’s memory on key topics from courses in order to improve retention of the material. BrainSparks have been enabled for 40 of our top courses across verticals. All new courses and courses with major content revisions will have BrainSparks enabled.
Delivery and Completion Details:
- Each enabled course contains 6 BrainSparks
- Repurposed exam questions sent after course completion
- One question delivered each day via email and through the mobile app (if enabled)
- First batch –sent on days 2, 4, 6
- Second batch – sent on days 30, 32, 34
- These questions are not answered within the Relias Platform
- Learners will receive coins for each BrainSpark completion. Coins are awarded as follows:
- 50 for the first BrainSpark question completed
- 100 for the second
- 150 for the third
- 200 for the fourth
- 250 for the fifth
- 300 for the sixth BrainSparks question that is completed
Learners who complete a course with BrainSparks enabled will receive an question emailed to them during the increments outlined above (see below for an example).
All BrainSpark questions are answered by the learner directly through the email they received. Their response is then directed to a website that provides feedback, and at no time requires the learner to log into the RLMS. Their response includes the correct answer and percentages on the accuracy of all Relias learners who have also responded.
Question Selection - Question Feedback-
Mobile App Delivery
Learners on the Relias Mobile App who complete a course enabled with BrainSparks will receive a Notification of the new BrainSpark and can access it in the “My Learning” tab (See Below). Learners will select the green arrow next to the BrainSpark and are prompted with the question. Once an answer is selected and the learner clicks “Submit” they are given immediate feedback including the correct answer as well as the percentage of learners throughout Relias Learning who have answered the question correctly.
BrainSparks completed via the Relias Mobile App or via email will display a progress bar on learner’s transcript tab in the RLMS. This shows the learner’s completion percentage out of the 6 total BrainSparks questions (see below).
Administrator Management of BrainSparks
Administrators have the ability to turn BrainSparks on or off at the organization level or on each individual module. Admins can also view the questions that will be sent to learners upon completion of a module.
1. To manage the list of courses that have BrainSparks and disable BrainSparks for a single module:
a.) Administrators can select the Learning tab > Modules > BrainSparks Management . Here Admins can filter their course list to see courses with BrainSparks enabled, disabled, or courses that do not contain BrainSparks.
b.) To disable BrainSparks for an individual module, Administrators first select the title of the module with BrainSparks enabled.
In the Format section under Properties, the Admin should select “No” under the "Allow BrainSparks". Make sure to save any changes.
2. Administrators can see the 6 questions that will be delivered to learners as BrainSparks:
a.) Following the same steps above under the Modules tab, filter for modules with BrainSparks enabled, and click on the title of the module you want. Then select the "BrainSparks" tab at the top of the module.
3. To disable all BrainSparks site-wide Administrators should go to Settings, then scroll down to Miscellaneous Site Settings and uncheck the box beside "Enable BrainSparks"
To get back to the Knowledge Base and the master list of topics, please click here: The Relias Platform How-To-Manual